Department of Media & Communication City University of Hong Kong – 2019 Applications for PhD in Communication
The PhD program trains future scholars to investigate the structures, processes, and effects of various modes of media communication in relation to their larger political, economic, technological, and cultural contexts. Faculty members are internationally known in their respective fields. In the 2014 Research Assessment Exercise by Hong Kong government, the Department achieved outstanding results, with 60% of its research output rated as world leading and internationally excellent. From 2010-18, eleven students received the prestigious Hong Kong PhD Fellowships through a keen competition worldwide. Students in the program receive rigorous training in theory and methodology and have published more than 60 articles in SSCI/SCI journals since 2008. After graduation, most work as faculty members at major universities in mainland China, Hong Kong, Singapore, United Arab Emirates, United States and elsewhere.
• Advertising and Public Relations
• Computational Communication Research
• Health Communication
• Media Institutions and Society
• Political Communication
• Social and Psychological Impact of New Media
1. BA, MA, or MPhil degree from a recognized university;
2. Strong GPA (over 3.5 out of 4; or total marks of over 85 out of 100);
3. (For applicants whose BA/MA education was not in English): Satisfactory scores of English proficiency test such as 79 in TOEFL (internet-based), with a minimum of 15 for Reading, 15 for Listening, 17 for Writing, and 18 for Speaking. Or an overall band score of 6.5 in IELTS (with a minimum of 6 for each of the sub-categories;
4. Independent research skills and strong English writing skills as demonstrated by publications in recognized journals or other equivalent outlets.
1. December 1, 2018 for Hong Kong PhD Fellowship Scheme; the results will be announced in March, 2019.
2. December 1, 2018 for the regular admissions; the results will be announced in March-April, 2019
All through online applications at the addresses below:
2. Regular admissions: http://www.sgs.cityu.edu.hk/prospective/rpg/
About Ph.D. Degree Programme: http://www.cityu.edu.hk/com/Programme_PHD_Introduction.aspx
Department of Media and Communication City University of Hong Kong
5/F Run Run Shaw Creative Media Centre
18 Tat Hong Avenue, Kowloon Tong, Hong Kong